Postdoctoral Course Design Studio

UCSD's The Center for Engaged Teaching (CET) would like to invite Postdoctoral scholars to join us for an enjoyable, comprehensive Studio on Course Design. We offer support for all stages of the planning, creating, or course updating process and adapt our offerings to best serve participant needs. After completion of this studio, you will be able to:

• design a course integrating Backward Design by writing measureable, active Learning Outcomes (LO) and identifying Evidence aligned with LO using an analytic rubric;
  • pilot, critique and organize one of 228 Learning Experiences based on empirical research of effective practices to enhance their course; and
  • implement Boyer’s Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) model as a method for examining, reflecting and improving effective teaching and learning; and identify appropriate, relevant and meaningful (ARM) instructional technologies to empower student engagement. 

In order to best serve participants we will be adapting our current Course Design Studio to fit three major groups of Postdoctoral scholars. We will determine dates of quarterly course offerings contingent on participant availability:

If you are interested in joining our Course Design Studio, please complete this interest form: https://goo.gl/forms/LjLpEHIPJYEaTRuj1 or email mgluckman@ucsd.edu to reserve a space. 

Postdoc Course Design Studio 

Course Design Testimonial: "I would recommend the Course Design Studio to anyone who works in Academia! This Studio will truly give you a fresh perspective on teaching and hands-on experience with designing a course. I know it is quite a commitment, but worth every minute of your time. I believe it is a unique opportunity to reflect on why and how you want to teach and what you want your students to learn. It has made me more confident to try out new teaching methods and be more transparent to my students. In these 3 days I've developed a complete new syllabus with original assessment methods and new interactive learning tools to get students engaged. I feel much more prepared for my next course, but possibly even more importantly, I feel energized and inspired! I can't wait to put my new skills into practice and use the other (personalized) resources CET has to offer to keep improving my teaching style." ~Marieke Toffolo, Ph.D. (Postdoctoral Scholar at the UCSD Psychiatry Department and Chair of the UCSD Postdoctoral Association)

The CET is committed to supporting your continuous development as an instructor. Additional support and follow-up experiences from the Course Design Studio may include:

• Confidential Consultations
  • Classroom Observations (faculty flow diagrams and student group perceptions)
  • Teaching and Learning Workshops
  • Learning Communities (teaching, writing, technology circles, etc)
  • Formative Assessment of teaching effectiveness
  • Creating and implementing methods for assessing student learning
  • Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL)

Course Design Studio Agenda

Day 1

• Before Design: How We Learn
  • Wiggins & McTighe Backward Design model: Results, Evidence, Experiences
  • Results (Learning/Program Outcomes Alignment)

Day 2

• Evidence (Assessment)
  • Appropriate, Relevant and Meaningful Educational Technology

Day 3

• Experiences (Active Teaching and Learning)
  • Planning, Interactive/Engagement, Teaching Models
  • Incorporating into an Effective Syllabus

For additional information, please review the Backward Design Learning Glass Video.