Learning Strategies Tutoring  

The Triton Achievement Hub brings multiple programs to support your academic goals and achievements.  Each program supports different aspects as shown here. 

Traditional Tutoring

focuses on

challenging content

Supplemental Instruction 

focuses on

challenging courses

Metacognitive Tutoring

focuses on

learning strategies

What is Metacognitive Tutoring? 

Metacognitive tutoring develops strategies to address the student’s immediate learning challenges (i.e. defining study goals and developing time management skills related to course work), while teaching the underlying metacognitive conditions (mindset toward learning, i.e. growth or fixed mindset) that can contribute to these challenges.

The primary goals of metacognitive tutoring sessions are to

1. help students achieve a greater awareness of how they learn and
  2. develop a growth mindset which research shows improves your knowledge, skills and abilities, so that you may hone your efforts and strategies towards success at the university level.

Metacognitive tutoring and workshops are led by learning strategists.

Why Work with a Learning Strategist?

Learning strategists are UC San Diego undergraduate students who have undergone significant training with the founder of LearnWell Projects and the UC San Diego Triton Achievement Partners Director. 

Here are some of the reasons students give for working with the learning strategists:

“I often feel like the biggest impediment to my own learning is my mindset.  I struggle with anxiety and limiting beliefs and often spend as much time trying to quell my anxiety as I do actually studying.  By the time I have lessened my anxiety to a tolerable level, I am often too mentally exhausted to work effectively.”
.
“My previous study habits are not effective for UCSD.  I need to improve both my understanding and retention of course material to be a more effective student.  My current study methods only focus on short term and basic understanding but with my classes building on previous material that I have forgotten I am starting to not be able to keep up.”
.
“I am a 3rd year transfer student coming from the semester system and I am having trouble adapting to the quarter system.  I am not used to this pace and would like to get support to understand better lecture material, note-taking and get better study skills.”
.
“I’m having trouble managing my time and organizing myself well to succeed.  It usually causes my priorities to be all over the place, which is causing me a lot of stress and failure in my classes.”

Attend our Academic Learning Strategist Drop-in Hours:

Monday: 1:00p - 3:00p, 3:30p - 5:30p

Tuesday: 2:00p - 6:00p

Wednesday: 3:00p - 6:30p

Thursday: 2:00p - 4:30p, 5:00p - 7:00p

Location: TLC Rm. 1508

Schedule an Appointment

For appointments please indicate preference for day and time by clicking on this link or click below to fill in your availability.  A learning strategist will reach out to you shortly.

Please use your UC San Diego Google account to access the "Make an Appointment" submission form. 

Spring Quarter Workshops

We will be hosting Learning Strategies workshops throughout Spring Quarter. Please see workshop descriptions and details below:

Winter Quarter Recap and Setting Winter Goals: This workshops will provide an opportunity for students to reflect on what has worked and what can be improved upon.  Students will learn to develop further their time management, note taking, study methods, and develop ways to obtain peer support to achieve their academic goals.

• Monday, April 9th from 3:00p - 3:50p in Center Hall 218

Exam Taking Skills - Midterms: Academic strategies will be discussed for students to add and try in the new quarter to support upcoming midterms. The sessions will cover all types of exams, open response, multiple choice, problem solving, etc.  We also discuss mindfulness and healthy habits that reduce stress around exams. This event will also provide information on how to set up individual appointments with the Learning Strategists.

• Thursday, April 19th from 5:00p - 6:00p in Center Hall 220

Resource Strategies & Extracting InformationThis workshop explores deeper and alternate uses for class resources, focusing on applications of homework and textbooks for long-term academic goals. We will discuss time-conscious strategies for obtaining information relevant to lecture and exams.

• Wednesday, May 9th from 5:00p - 6:00p in Center Hall 220
  • Thursday, May 10th from 4:00p - 5:00p in Warren Lecture Hall (WLH) 2110

Post-Exam Debrief – What to Learn from Exams, Homework, and other class items: A workshop for students to review the course graded and non-graded materials (midterms, homework, and “suggested” readings or problems) in order to dissect questions so you can understand exactly what is being asked of you.  This workshop will help you to improve your learning efforts. You will learn to take stock of what you know and determine how you can organize that knowledge into appropriate answers.

• Wednesday, May 2nd from 5:00p - 6:00p in Center Hall 220
  • Thursday, May 3rd from 4:00p - 5:00p in Warren Lecture Hall (WLH) 2110
  • Wednesday, May 23rd from 5:00p - 6:00p in Center Hall 220
  • Thursday, May 24th from 4:00p - 5:00p in Warren Lecture Hall (WLH) 2110

Finals Prep Workshop: This session provides concrete strategies to promote final exam readiness and stress reduction. 

• Tuesday, May 29th from 6:00p - 7:00p in Mcgill Hall 2322
  • Wednesday, May 30th from 5:00p - 6:00p in Center Hall 220
  • Thursday, May 31st from 4:00p - 5:00p in Warren Lecture Hall (WLH) 2110

What are the Goals of a Metacognitive Tutoring Session?

• Recognizing Challenges– Identifying the task, role, responsibility, setting or mindset that is negatively impacting the student’s effectiveness.
  • Making Thinking Visible– Distinguishing between the expectation and the reality of a challenge. Identifying assumptions and strategies already in use.
  • Developing Metacognitive Strategies– Connecting problems in students’ learning to the underlying process of learning. Using current challenges and strategies to better prepare for future learning. Develop a structure of resources that promote effective learning are time efficient.
  • Teaching Tools and Tactics – Using metacognitive frameworks that students can adapt to various subjects and contexts. Making students more aware of their own efforts and study strategies and adopt new ones.  Students will learn to recognize how and when a strategy works for a variety of courses.

Programming

Workshops and Events...

• Engage students in developing their own learning techniques
  • Build upon the experience of UC San Diego peers
  • Promote community and academic collaboration between peers
  • Make the interactions of learning more visible and concrete

Learning Strategists

Metacognition Tutors

• Are high achieving students
  • Train extensively in collaborative learning and facilitation techniques, and developing learning goals and strategies for university expectations
  • Manage drop in, individual, and workshop sessions; various locations on campus
  • Facilitate study sessions that encourages communication, community and engaged learning
  • Integrate course content and study strategies at the university level

The Triton Achievement Partners Director is always available to answer questions, receive feedback about students' tutoring experience, or listen to ideas on how to improve the program.  Reach the Director, Susan Rinaldi, by sending an email to smrinaldi@ucsd.edu.

Meet our Learning Strategist!

Social Media