UC San Diego Resources
UC San Diego offers many programs and services to help students reach their academic potential. Visit the Academic Success: Campus Resources page for a list. if you're looking for help with a specific class or subject, see the list of tutoring and study programs.
- Office of Academic Support & Instructional Services (OASIS): Tutoring, workshops, mentoring, and counseling to UCSD undergraduates (both individual and group support). Must apply in week 10 of previous quarter.
- Writing Tutoring: Drop-in and by-appointment tutoring support in Geisel Library for both undergraduate and graduate student writers; provides one-on-one, peer-to-peer feedback on any writing project. Workshops on common writing tasks also offered.
- Math Tutoring Drop-in math tutoring is available in Geisel Library for the following courses:
- MATH 2
- MATH 3C
- MATH 4C
- MATH 10A
- Supplemental Instruction: Peer-assisted weekly study sessions to improve student success in traditionally difficult academic courses. Currently available for
- MATH 2
- MATH 3C
- MATH 4C
- MATH 10A/B/C
- MATH 11
- MATH 18
- MATH 20A/B/C
- Tutoring and Study Programs on Campus
Educational Technology Services (ETS) offers several services to UC San Diego students.
- Accounts & Passwords – Set up your ACMS email, reset your password, and get information about different accounts on campus
- Email – Check and manage your email
- Google Apps - Google Apps for students
- Printing Accounts – Find out how to print from computer labs and from ACMS’s large format printers
- Podcasting – Listen to podcasted courses
- Computer Labs – Campus computer labs and printer locations
- Media Teaching Lab – Media student and general population media resources and equipment
- P2P File Sharing – Get the facts about peer-to-peer file sharing
- ResNet – Network and computer support for students living on campus
- Websites & File Sharing – Personal and student organization websites and FileDrop
- Software – Software resources available to students
- Virtual Computing Labs – Remote access to university-licensed software
Digital Media Lab in Geisel Library provides a space for media creation and editing. Specific capabilities include
- 3D printing
- video editing (e.g., Final Cut, iMovie, Camtasia)
- image manipulation (e.g., Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects)
- sound editing (e.g., Adobe Audition, Garageband)
- media-rich website creation (e.g., Dreamweaver, Flash, Filezilla)
- basic productivity (e.g., MS Office, web browsers, Adobe Acrobat Pro)
How to Get the Most Out of Studying videos are based on what is currently known about how the human brain learns. They can help change how to prepare for leaning, make your learning easier and more effective, and how to successfully recall new material. Topics include
Writing Resources at UC San Diego
- Basic Writing Program: designed to help you master the critical thinking, reading, and writing skills that will enable you to succeed at the university and in your professional lives. We offer courses for both native English speakers and English language learners who have not yet met the university’s Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR).
- OASIS Language and Writing Program: offers individual tutoring and workshops to students for whom English is a second language in any class where writing is required, and to students taking beginning or advanced classes in Spanish, regardless of their first language.
- Writing + Critical Expression Hub: supports all writers on campus—every writer, any project—and promotes writing as a tool for learning.
Undergraduate Colleges writing programs:
- Marshall College Dimensions of Culture: Contact Teaching Assistants for extra help with DOC concepts, readings, assignments, and papers.
- Muir College Writing Program: Free tutoring and workshops for students enrolled in any Muir writing course.
- Revelle Humanities' Online Writing Tutor offers writing help and review, plus online writing resources.
- Roosevelt College Making of the Modern World Resources
- Sixth College's CAT Writing Studio provides in-depth, one-on-one writing coaching to CAT 3 students for assignments in CAT courses and beyond (find additional student resources on the site, too).
- Warren College Writing Program.
Communication Resources at UC San Diego
- Center for Communication and Leadership: helps you build confidence and develop skills in public speaking, interpersonal communication, and leadership (which can affect your general academic performance).
- One Button Studio: offers students, staff, and faculty a resource for rehearsing presentations and for developing high-quality video projects without knowing anything about lights and cameras.