Learning Strategies

Learning strategies tutoring (also known as metacognitive tutoring) helps students develop skills that address learning challenges (examples: defining study goals and developing time management skills) while teaching the underlying metacognitive conditions (such as growth mindset vs. fixed mindset) that can contribute to these challenges.

Learning strategies tutoring helps students achieve a greater awareness of how they learn and develop a growth mindset, which research shows improve students' knowledge, skills, and abilities for success.

Upcoming Workshops

View our calendar to find upcoming learning strategies workshops.

View Calendar

Make an appointment

Meet one-on-one with a Learning Strategist to address your questions and growth opportunities.

Make an appointment

Who Are UC San Diego's Learning Strategists?

Learning strategists are UC San Diego undergraduate students who have undergone significant training with the founder of LearnWell Projects. They 

• Are high achieving students
  • Train extensively in collaborative learning and facilitation techniques and developing learning goals and strategies to meet university expectations
  • Integrate course content and study strategies
  • Facilitate study sessions that encourage communication, community and engaged learning

Goals of a Learning Strategies Tutor Session

1. RECOGNIZING CHALLENGES – Identifying the task, role, responsibility, setting or mindset that is negatively impacting the student’s effectiveness.

2. MAKING THINKING VISIBLE – Distinguishing between the expectation and the reality of a challenge. Identifying assumptions and strategies already in use.

3. DEVELOPING METACOGNITIVE STRATEGIES – Connecting problems in students’ learning to the underlying process of learning. Using current challenges and strategies to better prepare for future learning. Develop a structure of resources that promote effective learning are time efficient.

4. TEACHING TOOLS AND TACTICS – Using metacognitive frameworks that students can adapt to various subjects and contexts. Making students more aware of their own efforts and study strategies and adopt new ones.  Students will learn to recognize how and when a strategy works for a variety of courses.

Reasons Students Give for Working with Learning Strategists:

• “I struggle with anxiety and limiting beliefs and often spend as much time trying to quell my anxiety as I do actually studying.”
  • “My current study methods only focus on short-term and basic understanding, but with my classes building on previous material that I have forgotten I am starting to not be able to keep up.”
  • “I am having trouble adapting to the quarter system.  I am not used to this pace and would like to get support to understand better lecture material, note-taking and get better study skills.”
  • “I’m having trouble managing my time and organizing myself.  It usually causes my priorities to be all over the place, which is causing me a lot of stress.