Faculty 3-Day Course Design Studio

First 3 days of each finals week 9am-4pm (Breakfast, lunch, and coffee included)
We are also happy to schedule additional studios and departmental specific studios upon request. 

UCSD's The Commons Center for Engaged Teaching (CET) would like to invite you to join us for an enjoyable, comprehensive Studio on creating, modifying, or updating one of your courses. Participants should arrive with a specific course in mind, and all course materials (preferably electronic) and resources.

After completion, a faculty member will be able to

• design a course integrating Backward Design by writing measureable, active Learning Outcomes(LO) and identifying Evidence aligned with LO using an analytic rubric;
  • pilot, critique and organize one of 228 Learning Experiences based on empirical research of effective practices to enhance their course;
  • implement Boyer’s Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL)
  • model as a method for examining, reflecting and improving effective T&L; and
  • identify appropriate, relevant and meaningful (ARM) instructional technologies to empower student engagement.

Day 1

• Before Design: How We Learn
  • Wiggins and McTighe Backward Design model: Results, Evidence, Experiences
  • Results
    • Learning/Program
      • Outcomes Alignment

Day 2

• Evidence 
  • (Assessment)
    • Strategies, Outcomes Matrix

Day 3

• Experiences
    • Planning,Interactive/Engagement, Teaching Models
  • Incorporating into a Syllabus
    • ARM Ed Tech, Models/Templates, eSyllabus
If you would like to join us please send an email to mgluckman@ucsd.edu or jhargis@ucsd.edu.

For additional information please see a 10-minute learning glass video summary.

Course Redesign testimonial from Dr. Ryan Lepic/Linguistics Department

Why did you take the three-day Course Redesign workshop?

Much of what new teachers know about teaching, we've learned from observing our own teachers. This applies to how we design our courses, as well. We are trained to do research and be experts in our fields, but few of us have been formally trained to write an effective syllabus. At the same time, there is quite a bit of research out there about the science of teaching and learning. Many of us simply don't know much about this research, or don't have the time to invest in order to become experts. I took the Course Redesign Workshop because I was interested to learn how to best incorporate evidence-based practices into my courses, and I wanted to get a good foundation to build on for my future courses. Since we have to do this preparation anyway, why not make sure we're using our time wisely?

What were your key takeaways from the workshop?

The workshop is very practical: you bring in (digital copies of) your previous course material, and the staff in the Center for Engaged Teaching provides you with tools and opportunities to redesign your learning outcomes, your assessments, and your quarterly schedule. So, you leave the workshop with a concrete product -- the redesigned syllabus. It was also a great experience getting to know the other instructors from various departments on campus. It was a friendly and energetic group that I definitely would not have had the opportunity to meet, otherwise!

How will your students specifically benefit from what you learned?

One of the key ideas from the workshop is "beginning with the end in mind": what specific abilities or concepts do we want our students to have at the end? How will we know that our students have developed the skills we want? A big part of having a plan is communicating your plan to your students. Because we discuss how to make intentional course decisions in the workshop, it's an easy next step to explain to students why our course is structured the way it is. I think this transparency helps students to better understand how to succeed in class, and helps me as the instructor to meet my students at their current level of understanding. This is student-centered learning!

Faculty Showcase Under Construction... 

Faculty from across campus have been joining us quarterly for our Course Design Studio. We look forward to highlighting their learning objects.